"Sorry, but if I were you, I'd just get rid of this car and get a new one." And with those words, my mechanic signaled the beginning of the end for our little Tercel.
You see, the car's front right suspension coil broke on Sunday. Fixing it and all the other problems with the 20-year-old vehicle would cost us so much moolah that we might as well get a new one... or at least a new-to-us one.
But since we prefer to do our research before making such a major purchase -- especially with our super limited budget -- and it's Spring anyway, we'll be car-free for a while.
Okay, call me crazy, but a part of me feels skeevy getting a replacement for our little Tercel, like I'm cheating on her or something. You see, to us, she's so much more than just our car.
- was the first one Roomie and I owned together.
- was the one that Roomie taught me how to drive stick-shift with.
- had the awesome 12 CD disk changer that we would load up with music from The Cranberries, SClub7, and Weird Al and sing loud and crazy to while driving down the streets of Winnipeg.
- was our carriage to restaurants, concerts, and festivals before we had our babies.
- brought us through 2 provinces to the Tyrell Dinosaur Museum in Drumheller for our honeymoon.
- safely brought our babies home from the hospital.
- took us to countless trips to the beach and camping where we had fun with family and friends.
I know she has to go, but I'll miss her. She played such a big part in many of the major events of our lives. It'll be like losing a member of our family.