If you've been reading me for a while, you'll know that I've been working my ass off to declutter and simplify my home environment for years. No, that's not hyperbole. I've mentioned it every New Year's Day for the past 3 years.
wild goose chase ongoing journey toward minimalism, we've tried to be environmentally and socially conscious, not so wasteful, more giving. Since 2007...
- the Goodwill truck's been to our house 4 times to pick up no less than 20 boxes and bags of donations in total.
- Roomie and Lam have delivered 5 large boxes of toys the kids decided to donate to the Children's Hospital.
- we've donated various clothes and kid furniture, including our beloved playpen, to a woman's shelter.
- I've bagged up and boxed up outgrown kids' clothes to pass on to village friends with younger kids than my own.
Like all long-term projects, there are periods of productivity and periods of "I'd rather stuff stinky cheese up my nose than declutter". Believe it or not, I took this picture after a rather productive afternoon...
Oh, but it does get better...
Looks good, eh? Yeah, but that's not the end of it. Because that's just one end of the room. The other end of my livingroom looks like this hot mess...
And it's at this point that I stalled. I was ready to head out and buy some blue cheese for nose stuffing. Very bad news, indeed, as it's been over a year since I've done any clearing in this room. (Yes, there are hot messes in other rooms of my house.)
Now, I'm ready to finish this room once and for all, thanks to AndreAnna. She's given us until April 1st to purge and donate as much of our crap as we can for her 1st Annual Blogger's Spring Giving. This may just be the kick in the pants I need to finally get this room DONE.*
On April 1st, I will post a picture of my livingroom sans clutter. And I'll also share with you the places I've donated to.
I throw down the gauntlet and challenge you to do the same. I know, short notice, but any amount of clearing and donating can benefit at least one person. Your trash could be someone else's treasure!
Are you with me? Just head over to AndreAnna's place, get the details, and join us!
* - Or at least, to the point where I just need to change the area rug and curtains.