Anxiety attacks truly suck.
I know because I've had them. Recently. In the middle of the night. When I really should've been asleep and dreaming of my husband or my pretend boyfriend Gerard Butler. Or cheesecake.
No big surprise though. I've not been taking care of myself. You see, I've been much too busy. The "I haven't had time to go to the bathroom and put it off so long I actually forgot I had to go" type of busy.
You know. You read my last post, right?
Then, when I take on too much, I get stressed. When I get stressed, I fall back on old familiar patterns and coping mechanisms.
And unfortunately, my coping mechanisms include...
- the sugar-, cream-, and caffeine-charged Timmie's iced capps (which are definitely my weapon of choice in the 36C heat of late) -- yummy, but OMG, SO UNHEALTHY!
- Starbuck's mocha coconut frappucino -- which I can at least order decaf... with, um, extra whip. Stop laughing.
- going to bed at 11 with my laptop trying to "catchup", instead of going to bed at 9 with a deliciously smutty romance novel and drifting off to sleep with images of hot bodice-ripping dudes dancing in my brain.
- pandesal, cheese pizza, rye toast with grape jam, too much rich and RICE... lots and lots of rice... because, you know, filipina.
- and so on, and so on, and so on... ahem...
Stress, crappy food, no rest, and the no-time-to-vent-via-blog thing all make Nenette something something.
Yes, "go crazy". My old symptoms of short-tempered-ness, exhaustion, brain-fog, weight gain, insomnia, bad skin, and menstrual problems ARE. STILL. HERE. Now with added anxiety attacks! Don't I sound HAWT?!
My naturopath Dr. C is going to give me the gears next week because she made me promise to eat right, exercise, decrease stressors and relax more in order for my adrenals to heal. And clearly I haven't been doing any of that...
I'll be working on decreasing stressors shortly, and until I do, I won't be relaxing much. So, that leaves, eating right and exercising. And that I can do.
Oh look! I have been!
For the past week, I've joined Faith, Jenny, Rachel, Travis, and the whole life-improvement gang to kick our asses into shape and get healthy through Faith's Minimize Yo' Butt 6-week Fitness Challenge.
Goal: Lose 10 pounds. I want to lose 20 in total, but 10 is good for 6 weeks.
How: Starting July 18, I have been eating as Paleo/Primal as I can by cutting out:
I've been focusing on eating beef, pork, fish, poultry, and lots of vegetable matter. Water and green tea only as beverages... and lots of it!
- grains... bread, pasta, etc. (I had 1 bowl of Chocolate Cheerios on Monday. Too sweet!)
- all sweeteners, except some honey.
- carby veggies like potatoes.
- dairy... cheese, milk, etc. (I had greek yogurt once this past week though.)
For exercise, I'll be doing intervals and body weight workouts... which I hope to start doing soon... you know, time permitting.
Yes, I've done this before... so many, many, manymanymany times before, but this time I'm thinking of it as a complete lifestyle change, something I can continue through all seasons and not just during the summer. I can do it with my family, by just making bread/rice/pasta available for the non-primals.
Oh, and this time, I've got a BEFORE shot! AAACK!!!
I can do this. Totally. I can. Really.
I'll update often. Stay tuned.