Before you say anything, no, our bathroom isn't done yet. Actually, they haven't even started, and I still have a hot steaming mess of yucky-old-bathroom. But I gotta say, for now, I'm okay with that.
Why, Nenette? Why are you content living with the Disgustington model of bathroom decor?
Actually, it's hard to explain. It has everything to do with the energy in this house. It's all up-in-the-air, in-feng-shui-limbo, the-exact-opposite-of-grounded, and all the other non-one-word synonyms for "unsettled and chaotic".
Frankly, at this point, if I have strangers coming into my house to interfere with my space (yes -- interfere with my space) and stir up the already-frantic energy, the question "What does Nenette look like when she goes totally bitchcakes?" will be unequivocally answered.
And I'm convinced the crazy energy in the house is thanks to the number of unfinished projects* slapping me in the face...
- Sort toys for the Children's Hospital and Goodwill.
- Finish sorting other crap for sale, disposal or Goodwill.
- Finish viewing the last of the VHS tapes (I'm now at the crap-quality Red Dwarf episodes taped from Public TV).
- Sew the "Olympic fire mitts" for Lam's school play.
- Sew the box pleat curtains for the livingroom (because the Sears interior designer quoted $1634+tax for custom-made, just about sending Roomie into shock.)
- Put up the blinds in the kitchen and livingroom.
- Put up diningroom photo frames.
- AND ON, AND ON...
And many of these are not projects you can just stash away until you're ready. No, I have light fixtures, bathroom fixtures, toilets (okay, just one -- but it's in the livingroom), window blinds, cans of paint, bags and boxes of toys, and cans of paint in every corner of the house.
And I see this crap every single minute of every single day, because I'm a STAY-AT-HOME-MOM, and my unfinished house is my frickin' office!!!
It's no wonder really that my stress level is sky high right now. I'd go on about that, but that's a topic for another soon-to-be blog post.
Anyway, don't get me wrong. I'd like to get my bathroom done soon, but I'm not rushing anyone.
Meanwhile, one glorious item has been settled: Our new couch was delivered! On time and assembled... by 2 very cute and competent delivery guys. And the best thing? The kids love it! Slowly, my house is becoming more and more like the warm cozy home I've always hoped for.
Check it out -- oh, btw, the green wall will be painted white this summer, so this isn't the final iteration of the room...
What do you think?!
* - And these don't include the projects on Roomie's list, which he can only tackle on the weekends or holidays.