Are you excited? I'm excited! We're all SO EXCITED!!! Tomorrow, starting a 8:30pm local time, is Earth Hour.
Earth Hour is a big deal in our home. We gather our candles, our crayons and colouring books, pens and notebooks, and get ready to turn our lights off for 60 minutes, enjoy some together-time with our family, and make our stand against climate change.
In 2009, 88 countries turned off all their lights for 60 minutes to demand action for climate change. This year, that number has climbed as 120 countries have now pledged to show support for our environment and participate in the biggest 1-hour voluntary blackout in all history.
My little city on the flood plain will be turning off all non-essential lights for the hour too!
One hour isn't much. And I'm sure you can find something to do for one hour in the dark.
If you're tapped out, here are some ideas...
- Do what we do and gather around the candlelit table with our family and read/colour/write/draw.
- Tell ghost stories.
- Have an Earth Hour party and enjoy the hour chatting with friends.
- Give yourself a manicure.
- Knit, crochet, or needlepoint. (I can knit with my eyes closed.)
- Just enjoy the silence.
- Have hot, one-hour-long monkey-lovin'.